Year of Construction: 1893
The original Glendenning Hill Building was constructed for a Dunedin based clothing manufacturer, Glendenning Hill. The building later became one of four buildings occupied by the Strange’s Department Store.
Following the death of William Strange, the building was known as Victoria House. In the early 1960s the building caught fire and sustained damage to two-thirds of it. This part was demolished and the remaining third repaired.
The building was damaged beyond economic repair in the February 2011 earthquakes however, it was able to be rebuilt in early 2014.